Sunday, April 01, 2007

Gilderoy Lockhart's ideal birthday present

I'm re-reading CoS. I'm just up to the Peskipiksi Pesternomi chapter, and I noticed that his ideal birthday present is harmony between all magical and non-magical peoples. Though he added the alternative of a case of Ogden's Old Firewhisky, I found it strangely inconsistent with his secret ambition to rid the world of evil and market his own line of hair-care products. I mean, rid the world of evil sounds like something a DADA professor would say. But why is his birthday wish "harmony between all magical and non-magical peoples"? Does this sound familiar to anyone. Like the song of a certain old and dirty hat?

Is this what will happen when Harry finally kills Voldemort? Will there finally be harmony and unity and no more name calling?

I guess we'll have to wait and see.

No comments: